- This event has passed.
Civil Blueprint Reading – Burnaby
December 17, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Participants will learn how to read a set of civil construction blueprints, drawing specifications and general notes. Using various samples of civil blueprints, participants will gain experience and practical knowledge for their day-to-day work on construction projects.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
• Have an elementary knowledge of civil blueprint reading as it relates to building construction projects
• Understand in general terms the design process and the role of design professionals
• Understand how Building Codes and Bylaws impact blueprints
• Understand specifications and the contractual hierarchy
• Be able to find trade information using blueprints
• Be able to answer basic construction questions related to the layout and installation of materials
• Be able to identify elementary problems or short comings of the blueprints you are using
• Be familiar with civil, architectural and structural drawings, and how they fit together
• Understand and be able to use architectural & metric scale rules
• Understand how to convert metric dimensions to architectural (imperial) dimensions
• Know what a floor plan, section, detail, profile and elevation are
• Understand symbols, notations, abbreviations and material schedules
• Be able to work with the drawings to obtain basic information on dimensions, finishes, details, area calculations, and the ability to do simple materialtakeoffs
Audience: Ideal for those who have little or no background in civil blueprint reading.
The instructor: Mark Waters, CTech., GSC has worked in the civil and environmental construction industry for the past 30 years and is an experienced project manager and
estimator. He graduated from the BCIT Geomatics Technician program with honours in 1996 and joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC (ASTTBC) in 1997. Mark spent many of his earlier civil construction years as a project superintendent
and engineering surveyor.