- This event has passed.
Fundamentals of Infection Control During Construction, Renovation and Maintenance of Healthcare Facilities – Burnaby
June 25 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Construction, renovation, and maintenance of health care facilities bring specific risks associated with potentially fatal infection and illness. Preventing and controlling infection while these activities take place requires the implementation and support of preventive measures intended to protect patients, staff, and visitors from potential harm. Focusing on the application of the CSA Z317.13 standard, participants will learn how to address necessary measures and help control infection risk in health care facilities.
Background and Development of CSA Z317.13
- How and why the Standard was developed
- Risk factors and construction related infections
Infection Prevention and Control Measures – Levels I – IV
- In-Depth examination of proper procedures before, during and after construction in each of the four levels identified in Table I of the Standard
- Hypothetic case studies to test accuracy in identifying levels of control necessary for compliance and discussing outcomes
- Infection prevention and control measures
- Multidisciplinary teams
- Preventative measures analysis – tables I, II, III
- Best practices in the industry that exceed current standard requirements
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Gain a general understanding of CSA Z317.13
- Identify the risk factors and sources of health care facility infections
- Identify all staff who should be involved in infection prevention and control measures during any aspect of construction, renovation and maintenance activities
- Review effective infection prevention and control procedures during construction, renovation and maintenance
- Understand and effectively apply infection prevention and control measures for renovation and/or new construction projects
- Learn about industry best practices and how they can apply to your specific role
Who should attend?
- Construction Managers
- Architects and Design Engineers
- Commissioning Teams
Instructor: Mike Hickey – MF Hickey Consulting
*Note: This is Part 1 of an optional 2 Part course – Part 1: Fundamentals of Infection Control, and Part 2: Effective Implementation and Practical Applications of Infection Control. Part 2 will take place right after this course, on Wednesday June 26. If you would like to take both courses, please register for each course individually.