Managing Risk and Disputes in Construction Projects (Breakfast Session) – Burnaby
June 19 @ 7:30 am - 10:30 am
Risk is a key feature of every construction project. The essence of the ability to reduce the frequency and severity of claims is the identification of these construction project risk factors and dealing with them and/or providing for them in the construction and design contracts and in the administration of these contracts. Having contractual provisions and strategies in place for how to handle risks and/or disputes if they do arise, is a key component of a successful project.
This seminar will provide some practical advice on how to manage risks and strategies for dealing with disputes.
- An overview of the most frequently encountered construction claims/disputes
- Tips for avoiding claims before they happen
- Tips for keeping the situation from escalating too far
- Ways to minimize exposure if claims are made
- A discussion of alternative dispute resolution methods
Presenter: An Associate Counsel with SHK Law Corp., Marc MacEwing has practiced extensively as a construction lawyer in all aspects of the practice for over 30 years. He has particular expertise as a builders lien lawyer, as well as in tendering disputes and preparing and analyzing contract documents. Marc advises owners, contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and design professionals.