- This event has passed.
Utility Locator Specialist – Surrey
November 20, 2018 @ 7:30 am - November 22, 2018 @ 4:00 pm
This is a technical training program for individuals wanting to obtain introductory level training in underground utility locating. The program was developed & supported by BC Construction Safety Alliance, WorkSafeBC, BC Safety Authority, BC Common Ground Alliance and BC Municipal Safety Association who saw the need to set a standard in utility locating instruction, and to provide the province with training that is tailored to BC workers.
This Utility Locator Specialist Course involves three (3) days of in-class and practical instruction and successful students must complete a written test and a site-based practical evaluation.
Students require CSA certified steel toe boots and high vis safety vest and bring your own Utility Locating Device if possible. Led by experienced hands on Instructor.
*Note: There are no prerequisites for this course.
Participants in this course will gain the knowledge and skills to be able to:
- Locate underground utilities safely and effectively
- Apply skills in accordance with regulation and best practice
- Seek certification as a Registered Utility Locator Technician (Through the ASTTBC)
Modules and Learning Objectives
- Module 1: Introduction to Damage Prevention in British Columbia
- Module 2: The Locating System in BC
- Module 3: Utilities Infrastructure
- Module 4: Fundamentals of Electromagnetic Locating
- Module 5: Safety and Professionalism
- Module 6: Records, Maps and Documentation
- Module 7: Solving Problems