- This event has passed.
Civil Sitework Estimating – Vancouver
March 29, 2021 @ 8:00 am - March 30, 2021 @ 4:30 pm
Participants will learn skills and knowledge to estimate civil sitework construction projects and prepare a successful bid. The course is designed for those interested in becoming civil sitework estimators and for workers with experience in construction that desire to improve their knowledge of sitework estimating.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:• Calculate work quantities from engineering drawings
• Adjust for material swell and shrink factors
• Assemble efficient crews, and determine productivity
• Put into practice effective methods for determining job costs.
• Use essential formats for clearly estimating equipment, labor, material and other service costs related to completing a project.
• Assess and decide how a variety of physical site complexities may affect the estimated cost of a project. Use methods to counteract these variances.
• Better identify and interpret general site conditions, special conditions and technical specifications associated with sitework projects.
• Analyze projects and decide on which ones to bid
• Understand risk analysis and how to price this into a bid
• Do competitor analysis and understand how this impacts the bid
• Do client risk analysis and how to price this into bids
• Record material and other prices and maintain contact lists
• Formulate a bid strategy
• Understand how to prepare an estimate and the estimating process
• Become familiar with Construction Division Codes
• Understand how to present a bid
• Be familiar with how to use the bid depository
• Understand the requirements for bonding and insurance
• Understand the post-bidding process
• Work with project managers to pass on knowledge of the bid
Mark Waters, CTech., GSC as worked in the civil and environmental construction industry for the past 30 years and is an experienced project manager and estimator. He graduated from the BCIT Geomatics Technician program with honours in 1996 and joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC (ASTTBC) in 1997. Mark spent many of his earlier civil construction years as a project superintendent and engineering surveyor.
Tim Williams MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified
project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.