- This event has passed.
Project Management Essentials – Abbotsford
September 29, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Participants will develop skills and knowledge of how to manage a construction project. Participants will gain an understanding of the project processes and constraints encountered by project managers (using PMBoK approach) and how to successfully manage a complex project.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
• Gain the essential skills to manage a construction project
• Understand the importance of project planning
• Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK)
• Use the appropriate contracts for the project eg CCDC/CCA etc.
• Use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
• Understand the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
• Understand expectations management and adapt communication accordingly
• Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
• Do post-mortem analysis after project completion
• Understand the impact and methodology of construction cost control
• Use Construction Industry Codes to analyse costs vs budget
• Adapt the project estimate to a project budget
• Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
• Use of job profit forecasting methods to integrate into company forecasting systems
• Understand the importance of cash flow projections for construction companies
Audience: The course is designed for construction owners, project managers, estimators, supervisors and staff.
The instructor: Mark Waters, CTech., GSC has worked in the civil and environmental construction industry for the past 30 years and is an experienced project manager and
estimator. He graduated from the BCIT Geomatics Technician program with honours in 1996 and joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC (ASTTBC) in 1997. Mark spent many of his earlier civil construction years as a project superintendent and engineering surveyor.